Columbus AFB Recycling
Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri: 6a.m. – 4:00p.m.
Sat & Sun: Closed
At CAFB, we strive to be good stewards of the environment, and one way we do that is by diverting as much solid waste as possible away from the local landfills. However, to reach peak effectiveness we need the assistance of everyone living and working on CAFB. To do your part, please read the information below, and start diverting more today!
The main recycling center is located just next to Outdoor Recreation. Additionally, there are two 24-hour collection points, one is located in the shoppette parking lot and the other is outside the fence at the recycling center. Please drop-off items INSIDE building 151 during business hours, and only use the 24/7 wall or shoppette when building 151 is closed.
Items that can be dropped off at building 151
Paper: All colors and textures; cardboard boxes, writing paper, envelopes, junk mail, advertisements, bound books, newspapers, phone books, magazines, packing paper, shredded paper, paper bags; if it’s paper we take it.
Plastic: #1 & 2 plastics only; check container forOR
Metal: Drink/ food cans, appliances, wire, file cabinets, trash cans, car parts, aluminum, steel, copper; if it’s metal we take it.
Glass: Bottles of all colors, shapes and sizes; No other glass products accepted.
*Please empty bottles and cans before putting them in the recycling bin of dropping them off at the recycling center. Cardboard boxes should be flattened before being placed in the bin or dropped off as well.*
E-Waste: All non-government owned electronics such as TVs, computers, phones, radios, etc.
Universal Waste: Batteries (i.e. vehicle, computer, 2-way radio, cell phone, AA), Pesticides, Mercury-Containing Equipment (i.e. thermostat, thermometer, mercury switch), Florescent Lightbulbs (i.e. tube, u-shape, compact)
Used Oil: Engine oil can be dropped off at bldg. 151, and cooking oil can be taken to the bowling center or base club.
Other waste diversion available at CAFB
Paint: Drop off on south side of bldg. 385 every Wednesday 1300-1500
Plastic Bags: Take to the CDC for reuse in diaper disposal
The Columbus AFB recycling center processes on average close to 40,000lbs of recyclable material a month. That’s 240 tons annually!
- Americans throw away 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour
- Recycling one ton of plastic bottles saves the equivalent energy usage of a two person household for one year.
- Recycling just one jar of glass saves enough energy to light an 11 watt CFL bulb for 20 hours
- Glass can be recycled and re-manufactured an infinite amount of times and never wear out.
- The average person has the opportunity to recycle more than 25,000 cans in a lifetime.
- Recycling a single aluminum can saves enough energy to power a TV for three hours.
- Every three months, Americans throw away enough aluminum in the landfills to build our nations entire commercial air fleet.
- Recycling cardboard only takes 75% of the energy needed to make new cardboard.
- Recycling 1 ton of cardboard saves 46 gallons of oil
- Nearly 80% of all retailers and grocers recycle their cardboard
- Recycling a stack of newspaper just 3 feet high saves one tree.
- Making paper from recycled paper reduces the related contribution to air pollution 95%
Please help recycle these items!