Required for School Enrollment

School Liaison Program logo

Required for School Enrollment

  1. Birth Certificates (or Passport): To be eligible for the kindergarten program, a student must be five years old on or before September 1st of the current year.   To be eligible for the first grade, a student must be six years old on or before September 1st of the current school year.  A certified copy of the birth certificate is required for permanent enrollment of all students.  Applications for Mississippi certified birth certificates are available in the school office or at the local health department.  New students in other grades may be asked to provide a birth certificate if their records are incomplete.   The full legal name must be used to enroll students.   At the judgment of the principal a student maybe temporarily enrolled for a period of 30 days in order for the family to secure a certified copy of a birth certificate. Children of International Service members on Status of Forces Agreements (SOFAs) with the U.S. State Department should use their passports in lieu of Birth Certificates which are frequently printed in the native language of the Country of Origin.  
  1. Certificates of Immunization: All students, regardless of grade level, must present a Mississippi Certificate of Compliance MS Form 121 concerning immunizations.   Immunization certificates may be obtained from the Lowndes County Health Department or a doctor.  Active Duty personnel can obtain MS Form 121 by contacting the base Health Clinic/Immunizations at 662-434-2273.
  1. Social Security Numbers: Parents are asked to furnish each student’s Social Security number, which may be used as a computer identification number throughout the child’s school career/enrollment.  A space for the Social Security number is provided on the student information sheet. In general ONLY the International Service member is provided an SSN upon arrival in the United States.  Children of International Service Members will be issued a Student ID # upon enrollment after presenting a current Passport to the School or District.

Verification of Residence: In Mississippi, Parents/Legal Guardians, who are seeking to enroll students must provide documentation that is 30 days old or less to verify that each student resides with the Parent/Legal Guardian and is within the Local Education Agency’s District boundaries at the beginning of the current school year.   All students must provide the required documentation to verify residency each year.  However, students approved for legal transfer from another school district are exempt from this residency process.  For more information on Legal Transfers between School Districts contact your installation School Liaison prior to arrival.

Proof of Residency

Two current proofs of residency (one of which must have been issued within the last 30 days) indicating that both child and parent reside in the District.

Acceptable Proofs of Residency include the following:

One current utility bill:

  • Cable
  • Water
  • Electricity
  • Gas
  • Landline phone


One of the following:

  • Homestead Exemption
  • Mortgage or Lease Agreement
  • Drivers License or Voter Registration Card
  • Vehicle Registration

*The name and address must be the same on BOTH documents. Military Service Members can also provide

  • A Letter from the Base Housing Office stating that they are on the Waiting List for housing.
  • A receipt from TLF the Magnolia Inn on base.
  • The top sheet of their orders which shows that they are now attached to Columbus AFB. The School Liaison advises that only the top sheet be provided as Orders are a sensitive document; the details of which the Local Education Agency/District does not need to know. If you need assistance please don’t hesitate to contact your School Liaison.

Back to SLO Main Page